In today’s world, there is just no reason not to consider green home building when thinking about a custom home. It simply has never been easier to select an environmentally friendly design using sustainable materials. Green homes save energy and reduce a home’s carbon footprint from the start of construction to the everyday living of your family.
The U.S. Department of Energy states, “By adopting green building strategies, we can maximize both economic and environmental performance. Green construction methods can be integrated into buildings at any stage, from design and construction, to renovation and deconstruction. However, the most significant benefits can be obtained if the design and construction team takes an integrated approach from the earliest stages of a building project.”
Here are the things to consider with green home building:
- Energy Efficiency – ENERGY STAR certified new homes are 30 percent more energy-efficient than traditional construction.
- Renewable Energy – Add a solar, wind, or solar/wind hybrid system to reduce the use of fossil fuel energy.
- Water Efficiency – Install WaterSense certified faucets, toilets, and shower heads to save water.
- Building Materials and Specifications – Make use of recycled or environmentally sustainable building materials.
- Waste Reduction – Green builders reduce waste by recycling construction and demolition materials and remnants.
- Indoor Air Quality – An ENERGY STAR certified new home with an airPLUS label will also meet EPA’s indoor air quality standards.
- Sustainable Development – Communities participating in the EPA’s Smart Growth Program promote health and the environment.
If you would like to talk more about things to consider with green home building, or need more information, please contact us.