There is much more to custom beach house building than erecting an airy bungalow with an open ocean-front design for enjoying fresh sea breezes. Despite the beauty of the beach and endless horizons, oceanfront structures require tough materials to withstand the rigors of a coastal climate. Salt air and sun are harsh elements and any beach house must be constructed to withstand the test of time, not to mention the need to stand strong in hurricane force winds. Caldwell and Johnson use home building methods that deliver on all of these points.
In addition to the importance of durable raw materials, there are design elements unique to living on the beach. Some ideas to consider incorporating into a beachfront dream home are listed below:
- Outdoor shower
- Add a dock or pier
- Screened-in porch in addition to a party deck
- Don’t forget deck details – Select a stain that not only serves the function of protection against the elements but is also a shade that complements the color of the house.
- Dry Storage – Prevent damaging moisture buildup in closets and cupboards with custom storage solutions.
- Proper Drainage – High water happens. Evaluate property to determine potential problem areas where water may collect and plan for adequate drainage.
- Don’t Overlook A Fireplace – Even a tropical coastal climate will have a chilly night every now and then. Construct an indoor fireplace or outdoor fire pit to cozy up with.
For beachfront living, please contact us. We have been building homes for over four decades. Our professionals are committed to the highest quality construction using environmentally sustainable products that reflect our commitment to the tenets of building green. With more homes constructed on Rhode Island than any other contractor, clients can have complete confidence in Caldwell and Johnson managing their custom beach house project.